Here’s a bit more of what we’ve been doing on the homeschool front around here.
1. Homeschool ice skating…
2. Doing math sheets (I just filled notebook pages with various math problems for each of the kids)
3. Baking and cooking with me and with Daddy…
4. Reading (Anna is finishing the last Harry Potter book, Victoria is on a new novel I’ve forgotten, Jack has been reading a reading textbook with me and we’ve all been reading to Alex)
5. Watching “Life in Cold Blood,” a DVD about cold blooded animals
6. Oodles of art…
7. Looking for Comet. Our beloved favorite kitten has been gone 2 weeks and we’re certain someone swiped him since he was very attached to us and to his mama. We have an ad on the city channel and a nice elderly man called last night to report seeing him. After two trips to his house we found out it was a different (wild, older) cat. The kids miss him a lot, especially Anna.
8. Writing songs. All three kids have been making up songs and singing them. Unfortunately, this leads to fights about whether other people can sing each other’s songs. Siblings! Oy!
9. Saying words and learning colors. Alex is such a late talker but his words are really coming fast now. He has a tendency to only say the beginning sounds so we’ve been playing games to help him say syllables and ending sounds. We’ve also been pointing out colors and playing color games.
10. Talking! Recent discussions with the kids have included the difference between jails and prisons, bail, latin root words, parentheses, how search parties are organized, the difference between amphibians and reptiles, forensics, Twilight, Harry Potter, death, carbon dioxide and what sound macaws make. 🙂
Tomorrow we’re hosting homeschool days at the petroglyphs. It should be a fun day. I’ll let you know!