- Played Apples to Apples Junior.
- Got all excited about these lego possibilities.
- Made insanely tasty Swedish thumbprint cookies (and ate them ALL, except for the two that are next to me and doomed in the next seconds).
- Learned about Ratite birds. Don’t ask me, it was between Victoria and Daddy. I’m not even sure they’re not just making it up.
- Played caveman games on the ancient Nintendo (Saber Chase, Mate Toss and Dino Vault) and learned how to clean the contacts with diluted alcohol.
- Put up with Daryl telling stories about the lingonberry harvest his grandfather Olaf went through where he had to fight off the lingon bears, all in an over-the-top Norwegian accent.
- Listened to Anna sing songs that she and her friend Jessie composed together. Victoria’s favorite is The Life of a Bachelorette.
- Read a bit. Victoria is reading “The Restaurant at the End of the Universe” by the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy author Douglas Adams and Anna read “Pippi on the Run.”
- Did crafty stuff. Anna made God’s Eyes, Jack made awesome miniature magic wands out of toothpicks and fancy beads, and Victoria started a plastic canvas frog for our friend Nancy but gave up in the absence of green yarn — with much annoyance at her mother for not stocking green yarn or taking her to stores to buy it, I might add. Or as much annoyance as Victoria summons, which is not nearly as much as some children I know who just might be driving me a bit batty lately.
- Did a fairly impressive amount of laundry.
- Signed up for Westward Ho!
- Watched “Madagascar and various bad television programs of no educational merit whatsoever.
It was just right for a snowy Sunday in December.
Now I’m off to snuggle a 6 year-old boy with lots of picture books way past bedtime. Happy Monday!