We went up north to Alexandria last weekend to meet our friends Guy and Val halfway between our homes. We had been meaning to go for years because we wanted to see the Kensington Runestone (if you don’t know this bit of history/archeology, it’s fascinating!), and we found lots of other fun things to do too.
Some of the fun we had included….
- The kids and I took a wagon ride pulled by Norwegian Fjord Horses at a winery.
- Jack, Anna and Victoria got their faces painted.
- We visited the Runestone museum and saw the original runestone plus a Viking ship and oodles of historic stuff.
- There was a T-shirt at the Runestone museum that was written in runes and Victoria read it. Without a key. Have I mentioned she writes her journal in runes so nobody can read it? 🙂 Daryl bought her the shirt. I think she earned it! She was also very disappointed to see that the museum had put up a “fake” rune alphabet for kids to learn — basically simplified and adapted since our alphabet has far more letters than theirs and it would be tricky to translate otherwise.
- I bought two tennis rackets and some balls, and we all took turns playing tennis (even Daryl, who mostly had to hope the balls would come right to him since his legs are bad, gave it a shot!).
- The girls and I went shopping at Target, which is a rare treat for us. Yes, we live so far in the boonies that Target is a big deal! 🙂 (This is really good for the pocketbook though!)
- The kids got to swim and swim and swim at the hotel.
- We ate at a historic restaurant and shopped at an antique store together.
- Oh yes, and we went through a car wash. Yes, folks, we ARE that sheltered that this is a big deal! We’ve always just washed our own cars and I thought it would be fun for the kids. They loved it! Cheap fun!
Behold, a billion pics….
It was a wonderful trip!