We usually have a special Not-back-to-school day, but this year we sort of went all out. Monday our local schools started and we wanted to do something special, but we had to wait for (and clean for) the tax appraiser.
Which is not exactly magical.
So we did a few fun things Monday and decided to continue it into Tuesday… and then Wednesday… and then our camping party sort of fit in perfectly and we extended that with a sleepover and before we knew it we’d had a week of fabulous fun.
A few highlights…
- A special cake and cute cupcakes
- Dinner feasts at home, complete with dressing up for dinner
- A trip to the Washington Pavilion in Sioux Falls to hit the science museum where we ended up sidetracked and exploring the art half we never knew existed. We looked at multiple galleries of amazing art and the kids all got to play and create in a wonderful art room.
- A trip to our favorite authentic Mexican restaurant.
- Going to a matinee (Despicable Me in 3D for Daryl and the younger kids, Vampires Suck for me and Victoria).
- Wandering the mall! You know how that’s a big deal for my gang. 😉
- Streamers, balloons and other decorations downstairs all week.
- Fun movies from Netflix.
- Walking the Sculpture Walk in Sioux Falls.
- Oodles of books from Scholastic, including tons of free ones.
- Lots of visits to libraries and Barnes and Noble.
- Camping, hiking and exploring with friends.
- A slumber party in the living room, complete with junk food and Diary of a Wimpy Kid.
- More friends visiting.
- You get the idea!
It’s been a whirlwind and we managed to do most of it downright frugally too, which pleases me to no end. We’re members of the museum, much of what we did was free and we managed to find ways to cut costs with most of the rest. Besides, think of what we save with back to school shopping costs! 😉
Here’s a few pics!
It’s been a pretty nice way to start the new “school” year! 🙂