What a week we had! There were lots of minor emergencies but here’s some of the good stuff we’ve done lately…
- We read piles of library books. Some current favorites include We Are In a Book (Mo Willems), Too many toys (David Shannon), Shark and lobster’s amazing undersea adventure (Viviane Shwarz), Terry Pratchett young adult books and Into the Land of the Unicorns.
- I cut and hennaed Victoria’s hair. She’s been wanting to dye it a crazy color forever (you might remember the front was purple for quite some time last summer!) and lately she’s been asking if she can henna it instead. I’ve hennaed mine for years (Victoria and I both have dirty blonde hair naturally) and I finally thought why not? We talked Daddy into it and then went to work. It wasn’t bright enough the first time (I diluted it with conditioner) so we did it again. She likes it and frankly, it suits her!
- Anna helped take care of me when I was sick and learned how to make easy, natural gravy. I ended up very sick last night and Anna helped me get upstairs and stayed with me in bed. She even brought me her teddy bear, since she said he helped her feel better when she was sick. 🙂 Then Daryl peeled and cooked potatoes for mashed potatoes for a simple supper and I talked Anna through making gravy for on top.
- The kids played with colored water and snow inside — and then out. Alex, Jack and Anna dripped colored water all over buckets of snow at the table until they were bored and then I sent the big kids outside with the melted (very bright!) colored water in ketchup bottles and dish soap bottles and then wrote in the snowbanks with it (no pictures of the snowbanks, it was too cold and I was too wimpy to go out with them!). (photo by Victoria Bayer)
- We talked about the germ theory and a new theory that’s in a book I’m reviewing, plus the history of the AMA’s treatment of alternative medicine, conflicts of interest with drug companies and the regulatory agencies that are supposed to govern them, and more. I love having kids old enough to get into this sort of discussion at the dinner table! 😉
- Alex has been playing a measurement app called Mathomatix and he really likes it. Jack had some fun playing around with it too. I reviewed it here.
- We went to a hotel out of town to meet friends from far away and celebrated Anna’s birthday. It was a wonderful time. The kids did lots of swimming and playing, played Do Tell, had pizza and popcorn and cake, ran, giggled, played chess and otherwise had a blast. We rented a suite so a friend could sleep over with Anna and Victoria. (I forgot my memory card at home so I have no pictures!)
- I signed up for a free 3-month trial of ALEKS math and got the girls set up. I’ll let you know how it goes!
- We made this watercolor mobile. Tentative directions here.
- Tiffany has taken my daughter again! At the last minute as we left the hotel yesterday, Victoria came and said that Tiffany said she could go home with them to Nebraska for a week. She’s done that in the past and loves it, so we just said yes. The van was already packed and her stuff was in with all of ours, so she left with nothing but the clothes on her back (which included my new sweater, actually!) and her new camera. As long as she has access to books and is with the Bakers, that’s really all she needs though. They’ll work the rest out. 🙂 I’ll miss her but I know she’ll have a blast. Times like this are when I’m especially glad we homeschool and the kids can have opportunities like this! Of course, this means I have to make it an extra fabulous week for the three who are left though!