My goodness, I’ve been gone a long time! It turns out I’m not the best blogger when I have five children! Who’d have thought? 😉
In any case, I’m here at the moment and thought I’d check in!
Here’s a bit of what we’ve been up to hereabouts…
- Victoria and Anna have taken up needlecrafts. Victoria has especially taken them up, and has knitted and crocheted several fabulous pieces. She even made baby Fiona a little hat! (And one for herself!)
- The kids are doing math online. Victoria has decided she likes Khan Academy so she’s using that. Jack still prefers iXL so I may cough up the money for that. Homeschool Buyers Coop has a bargain rate for the year so it would cost about $50 for him for the year. I can handle that if he loves to do it. Anna’s not sure which route to take, but it’s not much extra to tack her on to iXL if she goes that way. I’m just happy math is getting done so often! Even Alex is doing math, using a kindergarten program with Anna’s help.
- We’ve been doing lots of poetry goodness. I’m still writing the 10-week poetry course for kids and we’re up to week 9 (24 poets every child should know). The kids are having fun with the exercises especially, and I’m having fun writing the series and putting the assignments to the test with my kids.
- The girls have been visiting friends. Victoria spent a week with one fabulous family in the Twin Cities, and then Anna spent the next week (plus!) with another fabulous family. I love that the kids can go off and do this during the “school year” so often.
- We went to the zoo. Our membership expires this month so we wanted to make the most of it while we could. We especially had a blast in the monkey house. I’m not sure why, but our family always relates to them! 😉
- The kids have been doing art. Victoria has been doing altered books, painting and photography especially. Jack has been doing a lot of drawing.
- Anna has been writing songs. She has been writing songs for a few years now and is really getting into it lately. She wrote a really great one the other day! She’s also writing a book, which is pretty typical for Anna too.
- Alex and I have been exploring phonics. We’ve been reading picture books together and talking about patterns (such as BAT right above RAT and both having the AT letters), rhyming, talking about letter sounds and so on.
- Jack is on a cleaning frenzy. I told him that if the house was in order, his friend next door could spend the night on Saturday. I imagine I’ll have to help a bit, but it’s nice to see him working so hard!
- Daryl has been teaching the kids dice games, Silent Night in German, music, card tricks and other nifties. He’s playing “the gambler” at Pioneer Village for their Christmas program on Thursday night (it’s a recurrent role where he teaches people card games, old fashioned dice games, historic swindles and so on) and then on Saturday he’s singing “Stille Nacht” (Silent Night) at the Lake Benton Opera House’s Christmas program (to open the show!). Anna may be joining him in the show too (singing with groups for a couple of carols). They should make for some fun times!
We’ve also been busy with the baby, of course, and have been up to all of the usual stuff… lots of reading, cooking, playing, computer fun, and utter chaos. 🙂
All in all, life is very good!