I’m trying once again to get back to regular blogging after so many false starts, so I thought I’d just dive in with a quick post for anybody who’s still out there.
Here are 5 things making us happy right now, thanks to the convenience of Instagram. 🙂
1. Our rescue kitten, Oscar. Long time readers know that we’ve found homes for many feral kittens and cats over the years but we decided we were down to a manageable enough number of pets again (3 cats) that we could adopt one ourselves.
2. Silly car games on car rides. This one that Rhia made up to occupy Fiona and Alex had us all in stitches.
3. Easy nature studies projects. We grew grass in CD cases a couple of weeks ago and have also been doing all kinds of other seasonal nature study activities. (Obligatory affiliate link to my nature studies book if you want lots of other simple nature study ideas arranged by season.)
How to grow grass in a CD case. Instructions in the pics. The last photo shows what happens when one of the kids leaves theirs flat on the table and covered for a week. 😜 . . . . . . #naturestudy #educationalcrafts #environmentaleducation #summerschool #summerscience #homeschool #scienceexperiment #easyscienceig #homescience #homepreschool #homeeducation #handsonlearning #secularhomeschool #handsonscience #watchingthegrassgrow
4. Foraging as a family. As always, we’re gathering loads of wild edible foods so far this season. It always makes me smile to think that this all started as a fun summer homeschool project and it’s evolved into something that provides hundreds of pounds of free, healthy food for our family (and two books!). So far this year, we’ve gathered over 60 pounds of wild asparagus and various quantities of morel mushrooms, lambsquarters, pheasant back mushrooms, nettles, ramps, violets, wild onions, and more.
Our 3 youngest #foragers 💚💚💚💚#foragingkids #ramps #asparagus #pheasantback #dryadssaddle #nettles #wildasparagus #springforaging #foragingfamily #wildedibles #wildfood #frugalfamily #naturestudy #wildkids #magicalchildhood #magicallife #fyfo100 #frugalorganic #wildmedicine #wildcraft #sustainablyharvested #naturesgrocerystore #wildfoodlove
5. Membership to the science museum. We’ve been getting lots of use out of our annual membership, even though it’s an hour and a half away in Sioux Falls. We do much of our shopping in Sioux Falls and Rhia’s boyfriend lives there, so we have lots of excuses to go lately. I always try to combine educational benefits and fun for the kids in our travels even to nearby cities, so we tend to go as a family and make an adventure of the day.
There is a lot of other stuff going on (mostly good, some less so) and I hope to start catching up on all of it.
What are you and your kiddos up to this month?